Visiting Brisbane - What to See and Do
(Brisbane Airport BNE, Australia)
Brisbane is located in south-eastern Queensland and is the state's capital as well as being the third largest city in Australia. Brisbane's population is over 1.6 million and the city is situated on the Brisbane River. The city of Brisbane has a modern cosmopolitan feel to it and visitors are welcomed to the many attractions in the area.
The original city of Brisbane was established in 1824 as a criminal colony. The city moved to its current location one year later, before becoming populated by non-criminal citizens in 1842. Brisbane is a port city and an important part of Australia's port network. The climate of Brisbane is one of its main attractions - even during the winter the temperature is a pleasant average of 20°C.
Ten things you must do in Brisbane
- Take a tour of the city on the 20-stop Brisbane City highlights bus tour. Alternatively, join a walking tour of the city to gain a detailed knowledge of the city's famous buildings and tourist attractions from a local guide.
- Visit the Brisbane Planetarium, located on Brisbane's outskirts. Superb views of the night sky, displays, astronomical equipment and special events can all be found here.
- Discover Australia's sheep rearing history at the Australian Woolshed, featuring demonstrations of the art of shearing a sheep and wool spinning. The attraction also includes a children's play area and farm animals.
- Travel to Kangaroo Point Cliffs on the southern outskirts of Brisbane for a wealth of outdoor activities including rock-climbing, nature trails and superb views of the countryside and city.
- See thousands of koala bears at Koala Bushlands. The massive eucalyptus forest that houses the koalas also contains other native wildlife and flowers.
- Marvel at the impressive performances by the actors and actresses at the Brisbane Powerhouse. Concerts and festivals are also held at this venue as well as the regular theatre events.
- Gamble your spare cash at the Conrad Treasury Casino. Entertainment and gambling options at the venue are an impressive part of this round-the-clock casino.
- View major artworks from Australian artists at Brisbane's biggest art gallery. Queensland Art Gallery is part of the Queensland Cultural Centre in south Brisbane.
- Sample some of the wide range of popular Australian beers on a tour of the Carlton or Castlemaine breweries.
- Travel to North Queensland for the state's most well-known attraction, the Great Barrier Reef. Flights up the coast are available from Brisbane International Airport. Upon arrival, you can take a boat tour on a memorable journey to one of the seven natural wonders of the world.